Professional Plans and Grants
Pupil Deprivation Grant (PDG)
The purpose of the Pupil Deprivation Grant (PDG) is to improve outcomes for learners eligible for free school meals and Looked After Children. This is so that all pupils have the best opportunity to achieve their full potential. The way that we spend our PDG money is outlined in the plan below.
Professional Learning Plan
Pupil Development Grant (For Parents / Carers)
A Pupil Development Grant is available to assist families on a low income to buy school uniform, sports kit, uniform for enrichment activities, school bags, stationery etc. Please note IT equipment is excluded from this grant. This year the grant is available to pupils entering:
- Reception class, Years 1, 3 or Year 5 of a maintained primary school
- Years 7, 8, 9, 10 or Year 11 of a maintained secondary school
- In a special schools, special needs resource base or pupil referral units and are aged 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14 or 15
The grant is also available to all looked after children of compulsory school age based in a Cardiff school.
Pupils with no recourse to public funds and asylum seekers entering reception, Year 3, Year 5, Year 7, Year 8, Year 9, Year 10 and Year 11 in the 2020-21 school year are entitled to a grant.
The parent or guardian making the application must be receiving one of the following:
- Income Support
- Job Seekers Allowance (income based)
- Employment Support Allowance (income related)
- Child Tax Credit, with a household income of £16,190 or less
- Pension Credit (guarantee element)
- Universal Credit with net household earnings of less than £7400
Working Tax Credit is not a qualifying Benefit and if you are in receipt of Working Tax Credit you will not be entitled to a Uniform Grant even if you get this together with one of the incomes above.
If you meet these criteria, please complete the Pupil Development Grant application form. We will then check if you are entitled to receive this payment with the Department for Work and Pensions. Those receiving Free School meals due to transitional protection will only be eligible if they meet the criteria above.
Please follow the link to access the form or a PDF form can be found below: