Miss Spriggs' Class
Welcome to Blwyddyn 3's Class page!
In Year 3, we are:
- Ambitious, capable learners ready to learn.
- Enterprising, creative contributors, ready to play a full part in life and work.
- Ethical, informed citizens of Wales and the world.
- Healthy, confident individuals, ready to lead fulfilling lives as valued members of society.
The Circle of Life
Our Summer term theme is called 'The Circle of Life'.
We are learning about living things, habitats, life cycles and lots more!
We are going to have lots of fun at applying our literacy, numeracy, thinking, IT and creative skills and more to our new topic!
We have started our new theme by learning about woodland habitats, microhabitats and developing our understanding of life processes.
The class will use their thinking skills to compare and contrast habitats around the world, as well as the causes and effects of deforestation. We will also learn about food chains, endangered animals and plastic pollution.
The children will investigate plants by planning fair tests, presenting their data in tables and graphs and through discussing their results.
Summer Term Maths
- In Maths, the class will be revising their understanding of 2D and 3D shapes, symmetry, right angles and fractions.
- We will also be applying our measuring skills to learn how to calculate the perimeter and area of different shapes.
- The children will practise using a range of written and mental strategies to add, subtract, multiply and divide.
- We will continue to apply inverse operations to check our answers when problem solving.
- We will use our understanding of multiplication from the Spring term to calculate more challenging questions.
- The children will be also be revising their data, measuring and time skills.
- We are practising our 3, 4, 5, 8 and 10 times tables.
Summer Term English
- In English, we are studying the key features of informal letters, so that we can write our own. To support this work at home, why not help your child to write a letter to a family member or friend? This will help them to see how their skills can be applied in the real world.
- Next half term, the children will be writing poems and learning about different types of poetry. They will also practise reading aloud poems with expression, pace and rhythm.
- We are also continuing to practise our reading, grammar, punctuation, spelling and handwriting skills.
- P.E. Lessons are on a Friday. Please ensure your child arrives to school wearing a P.E. kit and suitable trainers, which are appropriate for taking part in P.E. outside.
- Spellings will continue to be posted onto our Google Classroom every Monday.
- The Spelling test will be on a Tuesday the following week, therefore your child will have eight days to practise their spellings. They can be practised in the Spelling book that has been provided, which stays at home. Encourage your child to write sentences into their book by using their spelling words.
- Homework will be posted onto our Google Classroom on a Monday every fortnight, to be handed in as an assignment. Reading books will be changed and sent home on a weekly basis. Each child has a reading day, on which they will need to bring their book and Reading Record into school. It would benefit your child if you read them daily and ask them different questions about their book.
Thank you for visiting Year 3's web page.
Diolch am ymweld a thudalen we Blwyddyn 3.
Cofiwch alw eto'n fuan!